Can I get my Green Card without leaving the U.S.?

We are asked this question several times a week. The answer, like so many in immigration law, is “it depends.” Generally, people seeking lawful permanent residence (a “green card”) must be interviewed at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. However, many people can obtain their lawful permanent residence while they are in the United States. People who entered with a valid visa (or under the Visa Waiver Program), have never overstayed their periods of admission, and have never violated the terms of their admission in the U.S., can often adjust their status to lawful permanent residence without leaving the U.S. But, the rules are complicated and there are many variables.

If you need assistance applying for lawful permanent residence, we welcome you to contact us for a consultation.