I am a U.S. citizen; can I file for my parents?

U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old may file immigrant petitions on behalf of their parents. After a petition is granted, parents overseas have to attend an interview at a U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy in order to obtain lawful permanent residence.

Parents who are already in the United States often have to return to their home country for an interview. If they have lived in the United States a long time without immigration status, when they leave, they become inadmissible for 10 years. But, they might be eligible to apply for a waiver before leaving the country. That would “waive” that ground of inadmissibility.

In addition, many parents can get their green cards, through a process known as adjustment of status - without leaving the United States, even if they have been ordered deported and/or have lived here a long time without immigration status. They must reopen and terminate their deportation cases, thereby becoming eligible to adjust their status.

All these types of cases are complicated and should be approached carefully. If you think you might be eligible, or need assistance applying for lawful permanent residence, we welcome you to contact us for a consultation.