USCIS has a New Policy on Extension of Permanent Resident Cards for Naturalization Applicants

USCIS issues a Permanent Resident Card (the "Card") also known as a "Green Card" to lawful permanent residents. Residents 18 years of age and over are required to have their Card in their possession as evidence of their status.

If the Card is expired or the Resident has lost the card, the Resident generally must file a Form I-90 for a new Card. Before now, naturalization applicants with an expired Card had to file Form I-90 or apply for naturalization at least six months before the Card expired to receive an Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunication (ADIT) stamp in their passport as proof of Resident status.

Now, the Form N-400 receipt Notice of Action (Form I-797) includes an automatic extension of the Card for 24 months from the “Card Expires” date listed on the Card. Presentation of the Form N-400 receipt notice along with the expired Card is now valid, unexpired evidence of Resident status, as well as identity and employment authorization, if presented before the expiration of the 24-month extension period.

Thus, naturalization applicants may not need to file Form I-90 while their Form N-400 is pending as a result of the 24-month extension period provided by their receipt notice.